Dubai to Become Among Top 10 Maritime Capitals of the World
Dubai Maritime City Authority (DMCA) makes its debut as an exhibitor at SMM 2016, Hamburg (September 5 to 9) shortly after Dubai recognition by a leading authority to be as one of the top 10 global locations for doing business in the next five years. The emirate’s spectacular rise as one of the world’s maritime capitals has been in no small part responsible, attracting a large number of ship owners and shipping companies to transfer their headquarters to Dubai.
According to the international report from Menon Business Economic Group of Norway, Dubai joins the list of the world’s top 10 global players in terms of competitiveness and attractiveness. Dubai ranks fourth among the world’s top five “Headquarters for Operators of Ports” and sixth in both “Ports and Logistic Services’ and “Global Logistics Level”. The emirate was also ranked tenth in both the “Size of Navy Fleet Owned by Owners’ and the “Size of Fleet Managed’’.
The government of Dubai’s Maritime Sector Strategy is providing a framework for development until 2020, within which DMCA has launched various important initiatives to strengthen Dubai’s position as a global destination and attract high-level global maritime companies.
- Dubai Maritime Week, a world-class forum. The third edition will be held in October 2016??
- Dubai Maritime Summit & Dubai Maritime Agenda, first-of-their-kind forums in the Middle East
- Maritime Creativity Lab, an interactive smart platform for encouraging innovative ideas for developing integrated strategies to improve the performance, safety, efficiency and competitiveness of the local marine sector.
- Maritime Innovation Workshop, which attracted participation from several governmental entities and 35 private companies interested in the components of the marine sector.
- Dubai Maritime Training Center (launched in 2015). The Centre is of great importance as it is a key pillar for improving human resources qualified to continue the development of the local maritime sector components and position Dubai as a leading regional and global maritime center.
Dubai’s role as the maritime gateway to global trade will be brought into focus at a special Dubai Networking Reception during SMM, organised by DMCA in collaboration with the Dubai Chamber of Commerce & Industry, with participation from the Hamburg Chamber of Commerce. The event will be staged at the UAE Pavilion (B3.OG.120 Hall B3) in Hamburg Messe und Congress onTuesday, 6th September, 2016 between 17:00 and 19:00. Those present will include H.E. Hisham Al Shirawi, Vice Chairman Dubai Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Amer Ali Executive Director Dubai Maritime City Authority, and Prof. Hans-Jorg Schmidt-Trenz Chief Executive Officer Hamburg Chamber of Commerce.
The Dubai Maritime Sector Strategy aims to enhance the strengths of the local maritime sector, including ports, imports and exports, and financing services, as well as developing logistics and marine services to maximize growth opportunities for ship owners, brokers, and maritime finance and insurance companies.
The products and services herein described in this press release are not endorsed by The Maritime Executive.