GAO Update: Maritime Security & Coast Guard Issues
GAO provides advice and reports on no less than six recently issued reports and says that another seven ongoing GAO Reviews still in pipeline.
With summer officially over, the GAO’s Steven Caldwell has provided an update on GAO's work related to maritime security and Coast Guard issues. Below is the listing of their recently issued reports with weblinks. Also, attached is a full list of GAO reports on these topics which can also be accessed via GAO's website by using the search engine and typing in the report number (e.g., GAO-09-810T).
Recently Issued GAO Reports:
• USCG Budget and Management Challenges: www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-09-810T
• USCG Reorganization & Modernization: www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-09-530R
• USCG Vessel Tracking and Small Vessel Threat: www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-09-337
• USCG Administrative Law Judge System: www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-09-489
• Deepwater, National Security Cutter Deployment: www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-09-497
• Deepwater, Acquisition Management Issues: www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-09-682
Ongoing GAO Reviews
• Secure Freight Initiative and Implementation of 100% Scanning Overseas (October Report).
• USCG Workforce Planning - Rotation Policy, Military/Civilian Mix.
• Passenger Vessel Security - Threats and Protection of Ferries & Cruise Ships.
• USCG Deployable Operations Group - Command and Coordination Issues.
• American Samoa Customs Regime and Related Threats to the US.
• Polar Operations - USCG Arctic Mission and Asset Requirements & Challenges.
• U.S. Government Response to Piracy - Jointly with GAO's Defense Team.
Stephen L. Caldwell / Director, Coast Guard and Maritime Security Issues
Homeland Security and Justice Team / U.S. Government Accountability Office